Waushara County. Here you will find links to government
departments, services, recreation, jobs, statistics, businesses and more.
The Wisconsin Legislature established
Waushara County on February 15, 1851. Initially, it was organized into one town: Waushara.
The first County Seat was Sacramento. In 1854, a bitter battle was waged to relocate
the County Seat to Wautoma. In September of that year, it was voted that the County
Seat would be Wautoma. In October, 1854, it was voted to convene the Circuit Court
in Wautoma. There was a failed attempt in 1870 to move the County Seat to Pine
The population of Waushara County as listed on
October 5, 1860 was 8,814. According to the 2008 census, the
population is 25,215.
In May of 1928, the Waushara County Courthouse was
completely destroyed by fire. Fortunately, the vaults withstood the intense heat
and the records and valuable papers were saved.
Waushara County is located in central Wisconsin
approximately 70 miles north of Madison. Included within the County's 648 square
miles are two incorporated cities, six villages and eighteen townships. The largest
city within the County is Wautoma, which continues to serve as the County Seat.
Highway service is provided by U.S. Highway 39 along with a number of State and County
Highways. Approximately 18 miles of this four lane highway runs through the western
part of the County. U.S. 39 runs approximately the entire length of Wisconsin.
The County is also serviced by approximately 158 miles of State Highways. State
Highways 21, 22, 49, 73 and 152 are located in Waushara County. The County also has
a fine network of county roads.
Waushara County is governed
by an eleven member
Board. The chairperson is elected by the members of the Board.